Thursday, March 17, 2016

Macarons, however I can


Kitty-shaped macaron at Seattle Meowtropolitan

I love macarons. Of course by their very nature they're full of sugar. Even the comfort food cookbook we bought full of "Paleo Inspired" goodies has a normal, processed sugar recipe for macarons. Because as the author says "They're finicky and won't work without regular sugar. And I couldn't write a cookbook that didn't include them. Macarons are a part of me." Which made Greg quip "Then we're eating her every time we eat those cookies." We tried making them with Swerve, the sugar replacement blend, but it didn't work. At all.

So Greg tried making them according to the recipe, and they were delicious. Amazingly chewy and sweet. Because of the EPIC sugar content. Sigh. I can eat one or two before getting a migraine somedays, other days even half of one is enough to set them off.

Greg's vanilla macarons 

So in a compromise of sorts, I bought this little pill containers that look just like the real thing. They even have "feet", the ridges on the bottom of each half. I fill them all at once and keep them in my purse. Each one hold most of my daily pills. Leaving out three in the morning, and the super smelly valerian pills I take at night for sleep. (Omg, they are SO smelly. Like manure and dirt. The smell sticks to my hands, and oh god the burps. Poor Greg.) Anyway, this little guys are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment